Principal Engineer - Mooring Design - Floating Offshore Wind
Leading the design and development of optimized mooring systems for floating offshore wind structures.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the delivery of optimized mooring system designs for permanent offshore floating structures, including but not limited to:
- Development of floater models and RAOs in conjunction with the knowledge transfer partnership engineer
- Design of the mooring system considering steel chain or synthetic mooring lines in line with industry codes and standards
- Selection of appropriate anchor systems
- Analysis of the mooring arrangement using Orcaflex or equivalent software
- Validate with supply chain and installation interfaces that the mooring design is fit for purpose
- Presentation of design concepts in design reviews
- Preparation of engineering deliverables in line with project schedule and budget
The candidate will interface with the floating structure designer and other water column product designers to optimize the system design through provision of relevant analysis output and recommendations. Projects may be located globally with a focus on shallow water design.
The candidate will also be responsible for research and development or new product development activity in the field of mooring design. This will also include consolidation of best practice, lessons learned and development of digital tools where required.
The job scope may also include opportunity to:
- Contribute to internal and external conferences
- Participation to review committees or JIPs for codes and standard drafting
- Leading the delivery of the mooring design to project schedule and budget
- Management of key interfaces in the water column to optimize the mooring design
- Development of the mooring system design through R&D activity
- Consolidation of best practice and design tools. Development of digital design tools where required
- Ensuring the quality of work issued is high and conforms to department procedures
- Degree in naval architecture
- 10 years' experience in the design of permanent moorings for FPSO, FSOs, FSUs, Buoys, Floating Renewables
Nice to have:
- Offshore experience of mooring operations
Typical background and experience required:
- Experience in performing analysis of mooring systems using Orcaflex or equivalent software
- Experience in development of RAO data for floating structures
- Experience in shallow water system design
- Experience and knowledge of synthetic mooring systems and the behaviour of synthetic mooring systems
- Experience and knowledge of chain mooring systems and the behaviour of chain mooring systems
- Experience in coupled analysis
- Knowledge of mooring design codes and standards
- Knowledge of tensioning systems and impact of the design sensitivity to tension
- Knowledge of all mooring components
- Knowledge of mooring and anchoring construction methods
- Knowledge of mooring line redundancy strategies for floating wind and associated design code compliance
- Ability to select anchor appropriate anchor systems
- Enthusiasm for seeking improvements and challenging existing methods
- Track record of leading mooring design scopes of work
- Ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders
Nice to have:
- Experience in coaching and training of less experienced engineers
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.