This role is for a compliance advisor in Hassi Messaoud, Algeria. The role is full time on a rotation basis (4 weeks on / 4 week off).
The role requires confidence and energy to support the compliance programme, and to support the development of local compliance advisors within operations. This role will work closely with senior management to support the management and mitigation of bribery and corruption, money laundering, trade sanctions and other relevant compliance and ethical risks within the organisations.
The successful candidate should enjoy a fast-paced and diverse workload and should have the ability and experience to work with minimal supervision.
This role is accountable for:
- Developing, implementing and maintaining an international standard compliance programme which addresses bribery and corruption, money laundering, trade sanctions and other relevant compliance and ethical risks;
- Providing guidance to internal stakeholders on risk, mitigations, and risk-management strategies;
- Providing training and guidance to, and sharing know-how and experience with, newly appointed local compliance advisors to develop the expertise and competence required to implement and maintain the compliance programme;
- Undertaking investigations and reviews of E&C concerns and reports;
- Providing practical advice on day-to-day ABC/AML/ITR compliance and ethical risk questions; and
- Working closely with business people as a trusted advisor, while maintaining professional independence and judgment.
- Qualified lawyer with post-qualification experience in regulatory matters.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and French languages. Arabic written and/or spoken skills would be an advantage.
The successful candidate should have experience in:
- Bribery and corruption and other compliance matters, including the provision of compliance-related advice under the U.K. Bribery Act and/or the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act;
- Strategically assessing regulatory compliance and ethical risks;
- Developing compliance programmes including advising on the continuous improvement of such programmes, and building related tools to do so;
- Leading a team and developing skills in others to manage compliance and ethical issues within complex organisations; and
- Implementing a process to conduct anti-bribery / corruption due diligence risk screening of new suppliers and counterparties.
The successful candidate should also be able to demonstrate:
- Sensitivity to the needs of different countries and cultures, and ability to engage and respect the diverse contributions of teams, partners, and networks;
- A proven record of sound judgment, commercial awareness, and high-quality contribution to business strategy and delivery; and
- A strong ability to influence others, and to anticipate and respond to different viewpoints.
The successful candidate must know or be prepared to learn Algerian law related to compliance, including bribery and corruption and money laundering.
Although not required, the following attributes are desirable for this role:
- Working knowledge of the energy industry;
- Direct experience working as a lawyer focused on ABC/AML issues within a large corporate environment; and
- Experience with other major regulatory compliance risks facing an international company with a global footprint (e.g. competition laws, data privacy laws, etc.).
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.