Autonomous Vehicle Systems Engineer
We are looking for an autonomous vehicle system engineer to work for a leading subsea engineering client in Aberdeen.
he ideal candidate will have a strong background in AUV system development and system integration. Technical skills might include systems engineering, electronics engineering, software engineering, DC motor control and power electronics, battery systems, communications networks. Experience product lifecycle management is also desirable.
A digital mindset is important with a demonstrable understanding of the opportunities created by robotics, analytics and the cloud. This team aim to be recognised as leaders in the development of Remote and Autonomous systems.
The candidate must be a collaborative team player, capable of contributing new ideas whilst comfortable being challenged themselves. The applicant must be able to take ownership of their work and be accountable for timely delivery.
Experience in AUV system development is advantageous, but applications are encouraged from adjacent engineering sectors with experience in ROV control systems, robotics, telepresence and automation.
The following equipment will be involved.
- Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV)
- Autonomous Surface Vessels
- Automated tooling for subsea vehicle
- Remote Operations of an ROV fleet
- Development Subsea resident ROV/AUVs
- Onshore Control Centres for remote ROV operations
- Electric Work Class Vehicles
- Electric ROV Tooling
Main Job Requirements
- Be subject matter expert (SME) in Remote and Autonomous Systems
- Lead and participate in the specification, design, delivery and integration of innovative systems and solutions in line with the Project requirements.
- Develop new autonomous technology offerings, internally and externally, to increase company capabilities and offerings to the industry
- Work closely with project software partner to steer, develop and implement autonomous vehicle system software
- Engage with stakeholders and fellow engineers to continually evaluate system requirements and project end goals.
- Willingness to have a hands-on approach to development and testing of solutions.
- Communicate changes, emerging risks or additional resource requirements in a timely manner to Project Leads.
- Articulate complex technical concepts in a business context to project stakeholders.
- Willingness to travel within the role during periods of testing, implementation and operations.
- Ability to communicate and support more junior members of the team.
- Develop the company's IP portfolio through identification of opportunities for patents and assess competitor filings.
- Experience in Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV) and accompanying sensor technology.
- Experienced in specification, development, and integration of systems within subsea vehicles (preferably for AUVs although ROV system experience considered)
- Strong understanding of and experience with project and product life cycle management.
- Excellent conceptual, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Aptitude with developing complex systems.
- Proficiency with schedule management.
- Experience in writing supporting engineering documentation including design documentation, procedures, test plans and manuals.
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplined system engineering team.
- Experience in Vendor and 3rd Party management.
- Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality awareness.
Preferable Experience / Attributes:
- Experience in control system engineering.
- Software development, control and maintenance.
- Knowledge and experience in specifying and implementation of Battery technology in subsea vehicles and tooling.
- Knowledge and experience of subsea communications (e.g. acoustics, through-water-optical).
- Networks and communications design (e.g. LAN, WAN, VSAT).
- Good working knowledge of industry standards, specifications and guidelines.
- Knowledge and experience of control system safety standards.
- Demonstrable commitment to personal development and technical learning.
- Recognised Engineering degree or equivalent work experience
Petroplan is a global organisation which specialises in connecting skilled professionals with exceptional contract and permanent career opportunities throughout the oil, gas and energy industry. This has been our focus since Petroplan was formed in 1976.
Our aim isn't to be the largest industry recruitment specialist but rather the best. As such, our recruitment services, contractor management and specialised support is tailored to meet the individual needs of candidates, contractors and clients. Petroplan's local offices across Europe, the Middle East, North America, Asia-Pacific, Africa and Australasia support projects in over forty countries. Our client portfolio includes multi-national corporations, together with niche organisations focusing on a specialist discipline or location.
For more information on how Petroplan can help you, please feel free to visit our About Us page here; https://www.petroplan.com/about/
Ref No: BBBH35323