Sr. Project Controls Advisor - Estimating
Contract: Initially 12 months with a view to extend
Location: Calgary or Fort McMurray
Job Description Summary:
Senior level. Responsible for complex assignments and specializes in capital project estimation. Works with limited supervision and provides guidance to more junior staff to implement and evaluate assigned work. Viewed as senior site expert in Project Controls.
- Provide a full range of cost estimating services involving a full technical understanding of construction estimation.
- Direct support to Projects, or Programs.
- Collaborates with project management and teams on matters relating to project controls estimating, other stakeholders to resolve issues.
- Works on projects that are low to medium in risk and complexity.
- Lead end to end Estimating processes on project initiatives less than $100MM.
- Understand fundamentals of project estimation, and develop estimates from start to finish.
- Ensures project estimates use IPA and internal benchmarking tools.
- Advises on the conversion of the estimate into a Control Budget.
- Supports estimate requirements for Gate Review and AFE appropriation documentation
- Supports the development of business cases and provide economic analysis.
- Analyze Foreign Exchange impacts to the project.
- Leads and prepares cost estimates for change orders, trends, and extra work orders.
- Challenges change proposals from Contractors.
- Participates in Technical & Commercial bid analysis of packages and construction contracts.
- Proficient in synthesizing Benchmarking Analytics
- Understands and recommends what types of benchmarking need to be done at the various ADEM (Asset Development and Execution Model) phases of a project.
- Accountable to inform project decision making.
- Undergraduate degree (or equivalent). Bachelor's Degree or Diploma in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Civil/Structural Engineering or in a related field.
- 7 years of Project Controls (or equivalent) related experience.
- 10 years of estimating experience in Mining, O & G or other industries.
- AACEI (Assn. for the Advancement of Cost Engineering) Certified Cost Professional or Certified Estimating Professional (recommended).
- Covers positions at the senior level within the project control function with specialized working knowledge. Specialized skills & knowledge are applied to complex studies & problems.
- Provide value-added solutions with stakeholders, including external vendor relationships.
- Demonstrates coaching and influencing skills.
- All PC requirements conform to PC terminology.
- Ensure that the project PC folks understand and are complying to PC processes (teach, guide as required).
- Measure/track project performance and estimates against metrics and benchmarks.
- Develop plans/themes to drive continuous improvement.
- Participation in cold eyes reviews to support internal projects.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and SAP.
- Excellent communication skills - interpersonal, written & verbal
- Advanced level of knowledge on construction drawings and specifications and understanding of Civil, Mechanical & Electrical systems
- Understanding of various procurement methods and scheduling and their impact on the estimating basis
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.