We are looking for a Business Development professional who will be based out of our Calgary office in Alberta. The role itself could encompass a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities, depending on the successful applicant’s skill-set, aptitude, ability and experience. The primary objectives and responsibilities for the role are depicted in the sections below. In general, you’ll be working directly with DarkVision’s CEO on a wide variety of sales, marketing, product and business development tasks and projects.
The most important characteristic of the successful candidate is that they are very hard-working and a self-starter. There is a large amount of flexibility and freedom in the role, along with growth potential, so someone looking to use that freedom to significantly advance their career and put in the hard work necessary to do so, would be an ideal candidate. An ability to align with the company’s strategy and make smart, long-term decisions, ask questions, and understand the details of the product/market/technology and customer applications will be highly valued over an impulsive, fast talking, tire-spinning, “experienced”, shooting-from-the-hip type of style.
Skills and fundamental ability to learn, think, work hard and solve problems are generally valued over knowledge or experience by DarkVision. The following skills or experience would be helpful, but not essential:
- Upstream Downhole Experience: Experience selling other technologies, products and services in the upstream oil field service sector
- Logging Experience: Specific knowledge and experience using, running or selling the various downhole logging technologies used in the industry.
- Technical Background: A technical or engineering background would be helpful in better understanding the technology and how it works.
Responsibilities (depending on the candidate’s skills, experience and aptitude, there are a wide variety of potential responsibilities and key areas for contribution):
- Everything & Anything: There will be a wide assortment of standard and not-so-standard tasks that you’ll be expected to complete, both inside and outside the typical business development umbrella. There’s an entrepreneurial side to the role, so no task will be either above or beneath you.
- Analysis & Strategy: Working directly with the CEO, you’ll be contributing to the market roll-out plan, competitive reconnaissance, positioning, market analysis, and overall sales/marketing plans for the company as it scales-up.
- Product Input: The company is working on a very large and complex product roadmap and the successful candidate will be able to contribute to key discussions, decisions and prioritizations of products, technologies, features and markets to maximize the overall impact of the company’s resources.
- Meeting People: There are a wide variety of client calls, new customer meetings/inquiries, partnership inquiries, existing account management etc. both in Alberta and across North America.
- Networking: There are a wide variety of oil and gas shows, conferences, workshops etc. across North America that the successful candidate would be attending. Travel inside and outside of Calgary will be a big part of the role in the medium term. If you have major travel restrictions, this is not the role for you.
- Marketing Material Input: Depending on the skills and experience of the successful candidate, they will contribute to key marketing materials including customer case-studies, conference papers, presentations, websites, videos, and other critical materials that relate to the product/market.
- Hard Working Self Starter: First and foremost, the successful candidate will be someone that’s highly driven and career focused. There is a large amount of flexibility and freedom in the role, so a self-starter that is proactive in finding areas where they can add value for the company is an absolute must. If you’re looking to take long lunches, come in late on Mondays and leave early on Fridays, this is not the role for you.
- Growth Potential & Career Advancement: DarkVision is well positioned for growth in the upcoming years with a wide variety of new technologies, products and markets. There will be a significant opportunity for increased responsibility, increased pay and career advancement as the company expands its staffing, product-lines, technologies and operations.
- Strategic & Professional: The successful candidate will be able to align their priorities and daily tasks with the company goals and overall strategy. The product-line is a complex technology, presented and sold to professional engineers, and you’ll be representing the company’s brand, values and integrity. If you’re one of those impulsive, loud-talking sales guys who doesn’t like listening, this is not the product or the company for you. Smart, thoughtful, methodical, calculated decision making is a critical aspect for top performance in the role.
- Communication Skills: The ability to speak, write and communicate clearly, professionally and effectively for different audiences would help any candidate at excelling in the role.
- Sense of Humour: At DarkVision, we have a very casual, funny and sometimes sarcastic culture. If you’re someone that’s easily offended, especially by un-offensive things, this is not the place for you. If you find this statement offensive, that’s a good litmus test for not-applying.
- General Competence: At DarkVision, there is a very high bar for general all-round competence and ability to get things done quickly, thoroughly and effectively without compromising on quality. If you don’t like working with smart highly driven people who make very few errors, this is not the place for you.
- Competitive salary or higher (Top $ for top talent)
- Fulltime role
- Full benefits
- Up to 8-weeks vacation for fulltime positions (yes 40 days!)
DarkVision Technologies Inc. was founded in 2013 by a group of experienced entrepreneurs that have expertise and a track record in developing and commercializing imaging technologies. The company has developed a new ultrasound-based imaging technology that is changing the way oil and gas companies see inside their wells.
A world-class, well financed, engineering team is continuously innovating, prototyping and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with the latest toolkit in 2018. Our team consists of experts from machine vision, medical imaging, aerospace and computer graphics sectors who have come together to revolutionize the way oil and gas wells are inspected and visualized.
With a number of North America’s largest oil and gas companies already secured as early customers, DarkVision’s flagship product is getting tons of market traction – we’re growing quickly and want you to join us for the fun and exciting journey ahead!
Here are 6 reason’s you’ll like working at DarkVision:
- Well-Funded: The company is well funded from strong financial backers and customers. We’re expanding and will be for a long time. We don’t skimp on anything, from our employees to our product – we see the big picture and are the polar opposite of nickel-and-dimers. The bean counters don’t like it, but we don’t like them either.
- Free-Reign: We give our employees lots of freedom to operate and encourage them to take calculated risks. If it makes sense, we’ll probably give it a shot.
- Creativity Valued: If you have good ideas, especially out-of-the-box ones, DarkVision will give you lots of leeway to see them through to fruition. We have very few rules and policies – the only real rule is “do great work”.
- Opportunity for Advancement: The company is growing quickly and there are many opportunities for expansion of roles, responsibilities and overall career advancement for the right people for whom that’s important.
- Work-Hard, Play Hard: We hate red tape, dramatics, politics, excuses and whining. We like people that both “get it done” while enjoying a good laugh at the same time. The company culture is very fun, light-hearted, humorous and sarcastic.
- Smart, but “Normal” People: We employ some very intelligent, brilliant but practical engineers that actually act like normal people. They have high IQs but can also look you in the eye during conversation – shocking as that may seem.
Ref No: BBBHDV101