Please note- This is a permanent, full-time opportunity based out of the Vancouver office, with ability to travel as needed.
Our client, a privately held company based in Vancouver and an industry leader in the production of sustainable natural gas products, is seeking a Director of Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) to join their project team at their Vancouver office.
The project, situated approximately 7km west-southwest of Squamish, BC involves the construction and operation of a liquefied natural gas export facility with a storage capacity of 250,000 m3, capable of producing 2.1 million tonnes of LNG per year.
The Director of Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE) will be in charge of strategic leadership and management of the HSSE function. Leading a small corporate team, they will support teams in developing HSSE systems.
They will ensure organizational compliance with local, provincial and federal HSSE laws and regulations; driving safety innovation of a large scale construction project and excellence in core health and safety management systems.
The successful applicant will:
- Develop and lead the HSSE Management System for the company.
- Develop, implement, and manage all Safety and Health policies, procedures, and activities to ensure a safe work environment for all employees.
- Defines corporate HSSE objectives annually and assists site and project teams in setting objectives.
- Implement an assurance strategy to monitor compliance against the project HSSE Execution Plan and HSSE procedures.
- Manage incident reporting and follow-up programs, including the analysis of trends and improvements.
- Provides oversight of incident investigations and corrective actions; ensures adequate corrective measures are implemented to prevent a recurrence.
- Ensure that all incidents are correctly classified, investigated, and corrective actions and lessons learned are developed, closed on time and shared within the company.
- Collect and analyze HSSE data and develop goals, dashboards, and metrics to track effectiveness and areas of improvement.
- Play a lead role in developing and managing ERP through support to site and project teams.
- Review and approve contractor's health and safety management plans and safe operating procedures to ensure that controls are in place to achieve the lowest acceptable risk to eliminate or control the risks associated with the tasks.
- Lead, facilitate and implement project hazard analysis and risk assessment process across the company.
- Develop and drive current and future sustainability and ESG programs.
- Stay abreast of changes concerning health and safety regulations; keep necessary leaders informed of changes.
- Develop and lead the Governance and Assurance programs.
- Provide advice, strategies and problem solving to project personnel on all health and safety issues to achieve the goal of 'no harm' during construction.
- Degree in Occupational Health & Safety or another relevant discipline.
- Fifteen (15) or more years of progressive Health & Safety management experience.
- 5 years of proven leadership/managing direct reports experience is required.
- British Columbian HSSE experience is highly advantageous.
- Experience in setting up HSSE systems, processes, tools and policies in construction and heavy civil type industry.
- Ideally, experience in a resource-based company (oil and gas, mining, extraction).
- Related Professional Certification an asset (e.g. CRSP).
- Extensive knowledge of H&S management systems and their implementation within a site/construction setting.
- Proven advanced auditor skills and certification(s) are essential.
- Ability to independently assess the functional performance of a safety management system, and develop implementation gap closure plans.
- The ability to understand the process flow and process improvement is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of Federal, Provincial, and local health and safety regulations.
- Strong time management, written/verbal communication, and digital technology skills.
- Ability to travel as needed, up to 25% .
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.