Contract: 12 months, with a likely extension
Location Calgary, with travel to site required on occasions.
Our clients mission to create energy for a better world begins with caring about the communities we live and work in, while responding to your interests and concerns.
Are you an experienced Occupational Hygienist? In this fast-paced role, you will be an integral member of our Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS or EH&S) team for our Distribution Terminals across Canada.
|Occupational hygienists (OH) maintain workplace health and safety by identifying, evaluating, and controlling exposure to chemical, physical, ergonomic, biological, and physiological hazards. The OH provides direct support to individual sites and advice to prevent worker over exposure at the workplace. Anticipating/identifying potential health hazards, conducting qualitative and quantitative worker exposure assessments and evaluations appropriate to the health hazards at various sites lead to recommendation of suitable control options to area management and health risk communication to employees.
- Skilled knowledge in general sciences including chemistry, physics, biology, toxicology, epidemiology etc.
- Working knowledge of occupational health and safety legislation, product safety, chemical management, community response (e.g. ndistroise/odors, etc.), case management, etc.
- Good interpersonal, communication, organizational and relationship building skills.
- Competency in exposure assessment methodologies, and control principles.
- Ability to interpret and apply provincial, federal, and other applicable regulatory requirements (e.g. Canada Standards Association, etc.) and best practices related to management of occupational hygiene related issues.
- Ability to advise the BA on internal and external best practices on occupational hygiene.
- Ability to perform qualitative and quantitative worker exposure assessments, audits, and observations including reporting and communicating evaluation results, and feasible recommendations for the improvement and mitigation of hazards.
- Able to interpret data, make inferences and recommendations based on that data.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in the sciences or OH/IH field.
- Experience in occupational hygiene; experience in petroleum, petrochemical or other industrial setting preferred.
- Excellent oral and written capacities in English.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Registered with the Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienists/American Board of Industrial Hygiene certified.
- Comfortable in making presentations / providing training to employees.
- Proficient in computer software applications: e.g. Cority, Microsoft Office.
- Plans, schedules and completes site level occupational hygiene projects related to the design, implementation and improvement of occupational hygiene processes, systems and learning tools with medium-term timelines (1-3 years).
- Provides technical support to site EHS peers, workers, supervision and management with evaluation of health hazards, and provision of recommended mitigations associated with day to day stakeholder activities and validates effectiveness of implementation.
- Provides guidance on the occupational hygiene processes and validates organizational compliance with site level regulatory requirements. Provides input for updates to standards when required.
- Interprets and applies occupational hygiene processes (e.g., respiratory protection, hearing protection, radiation safety, etc.).
- Conducts workplace assessments to identify, quantify and control risk to people, property and equipment to identify and mitigate chemical, physical, biological and ergonomics issues at site level.
- Develops OH/IH governing documents and assists in the development and implementation of health and safety programs and processes that support the business and stewards towards enterprise wide occupational hygiene requirements.
- Provide Health and Wellness Site Services team with rationale for medical surveillance.
- Interfaces with regulatory authorities on occupational hygiene matters.
- Act as Product Safety liaison to the business.
- Receives strategic direction and guidance for complex issues from the Lead Occupational Hygienist or Central EHS Team.
- Accountable for coordinating/supervising work with external consultants and ensuring their safety when at site.
- Accountable for proper recordkeeping (filing, reporting, personal letters, etc.) and for the input of occupational hygiene data into the Cority system for all assessments conducted.
- Ensures privacy and confidentiality of policies and processes are followed to maintain confidential health and exposure records.
- Reviews and provides input into BA procedures/standards or Central Occupational Hygiene governing documents as required.
Location and other Key Details:
- Calgary based with travel to other sites across Canada.
- Field work is an expectation and OH are required to time in the field conducting assessments, walk-throughs and inspections and may involve climbing towers, working in hot/cold environments, etc.
- The OH role involves working in an environment where there may be exposure to a wide variety of occupational health hazards (e.g., noise, chemicals, lifting equipment, etc.) for which controls such as personal protective equipment will be available for use (e.g. SCBA, SABA, APR, Chemical protective clothing, hearing protection, etc.)
- Hours of work are a regular 40-hour work week, Monday to Friday, with the potential for extended work hours based on business needs.
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.