- Contract position
- 3-6 months
- Based in Medicine Hat
The Safety and Industrial Hygiene Advisor provides specialist technical and practical advice and solutions regarding all aspects of the occupational safety and industrial hygiene safety and health program for our client. The position is responsible for assessing and ensuring compliance of the site with federal, provincial, and municipal Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Identify and stop dangerous work promptly, coach workers to understand and commit to safe work.
- Actively promote and reinforce compliance with OHS and Responsible Care policies, procedures, and applicable standards.
- Review contractor performance to ensure they meet the requirements of the safety and industrial hygiene programs as part of the overall integrated Responsible Care (RC) management system.
- Identify, develop, lead and support the implementation of safety and industrial hygiene programs, systems and processes as part of the overall integrated Responsible Care (RC) management system
- Establish a visible presence in the field to promote Responsible Care. Demonstrate commitment to Health and Safety by and making safety part of your daily conversations with workers and taking note of health and safety suggestions or concerns. Be a role model for safety expectations.
- Advise on the implementation of the site risk management procedures as they relate to the different departments (Technical, Maintenance, Operations)
- Attend work order and Management of Change projects kick-off, check prints, process hazard assessments, risk assessments, and acceptance meetings to identify, specify and ensure that Responsible Care requirements are identified and implemented.
- Complete weekly reviews of all incidents and reviews content for classification, severity, root cause(s), action items, and completion status.
- Conduct field audits to confirm compliance with site health, safety and industrial hygiene requirements, standards and processes.
- Five years' related Health and Safety experience in the oil and gas and/or petrochemical industry.
- Demonstrated awareness of current and emerging occupation health issues.
- Experience conducting workplace program audits to minimize or alleviate unsafe work conditions and prevent workplace accidents.
- Problem-solving and providing recommendations related to workplace practices/conditions and accident investigations.
- Compiling and tracking of statistics and data to facilitate the prioritization of mitigation strategies.
- Interpreting applicable codes, standards, guidelines, and relevant legislation.
- Providing advice and guidance to managers/supervisors to ensure legislative compliance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult learning techniques and principles, including demonstrated experience developing and delivering effective health and safety training and workshop programs.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of programs, particularly Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook, as well as web-based applications.
- Post-secondary Diploma and/or Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- ACSA National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) Certificate
- Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (CRSP) accreditation or the ability to
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.