Senior Civil Structural Engineer (Contract)
This contractor position will be located in a Vancouver, BC Canada Engineering office, some remote work is possible.
Supervise, provide technical guidance, interpret, manage projects/tasks and/or participate in activities to support civil engineering projects with a focus on bulk earthworks, concrete, structural engineering & design as well as site supervision of civil activities. Additional activities include inspection, measurement, interpretation, analysis, coordination, problem solving, forecasting, reporting, project design (office) and construction support. Provide technical advice and guidance for all phases of assigned large/complex engineering projects and programs, ensuring the successful conclusion of all phases within an appropriate time and at appropriate cost.
- Apply working knowledge of engineering principles to assigned engineering projects, using sound engineering, data measurement & collection, calculations, analysis, interpretation and problem solving.
- Review, interpret, comment and approve civil engineering deliverables. Review reports for civil design projects and provide recommendations to site team and to project consultants.
- Manage projects and serve as a civil subject matter expert (SME) on large/complex site planning/construction, expansion or modifications.
- Provide guidance and counsel to the site management team on applicable processes, practices, and existing/proposed local, state and federal regulations.
- Contribute to project site strategic planning and budgeting efforts for civil engineering areas.
- Develop and/or review scopes of work, evaluate proposals, draft formalized internal requests for funding, and administer contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment as approved and required.
- Identify opportunities for improvements and determine associated value for risk reduction measures.
- Lead the electrical efforts on large/complex engineering projects, which may include the development of new or modification to existing systems and processes, including the responsibility of approving work from other engineering disciplines.
- May evaluate and administer contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment as approved and required.
Nature of work: Works on complex issues and implements solutions mostly through the determination of strategy and delegation to others in a group or functional area.
Level of interaction: Often collaborates with managers and/or functional or site leaders and interacts with external colleagues.
Autonomy/decision making: Works under moderate supervision and has some latitude to set objectives, priorities and timelines that may impact department or individual work group
Budgetary responsibility: Has no budgetary responsibility
Managerial responsibility: Manages a specific program or project and may supervise people.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related engineering discipline from an accredited curriculum and five (5) years related experience in engineering or a related field, OR
- Master's Degree in Civil Engineering or related engineering discipline from an accredited curriculum and three (3) years of experience in engineering or related scientific field.
- Knowledge of principles and practice of civil, geotechnical, water resources, water quality/treatment, and/or geological engineering
- Demonstrate technical competence through engineering and/or operations experience in at least one of the following work areas: earthworks, structural design, concrete design, construction supervision, dams, process water balance and slurry transport.
- Proficient in MS Office and other engineering tools (CAD, analytical, mapping)
Language Skills, Certifications and/or Training
- Fluency in English
- Broad knowledge of the principles and practices of mechanical engineering
- Ability to research and analyze information of considerable difficulty and draw valid conclusions
- Skill in effective communication, both verbal and written, including the ability to actively listen and to adapt behavior and communication style based upon the audience
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Skill in following safety practices, and recognizing, controlling and/or eliminating hazards Ability to build trust and credibility with employees/peers and establish common goals and expectations
- Strong analytical skills
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master's Degree in Civil Engineering
- Professional Engineer's license
- At least 5 years of work experience
- Experience with metal mining operations, especially with regards to geotechnical, structural, earth and concrete works.
- Experience with cost estimating for civil projects, project scheduling and project controls
- Skilled in related engineering software (AutoCAD/Civil 3D, ArcGIS, GoldSim), programming languages