Instrument Field Engineer
Permanent Staff Position
Instrument Field Engineer will have responsibility for all aspects of Instrument engineering and instrument construction supervision on the operating facilities. These responsibilities include leadership, coordination, and design execution and implementation of plant improvement projects. This often involves working as part of multidiscipline engineering teams and in close cooperation with plant operations and maintenance teams. Project teams can range in dimension from local, through to European and occasionally global scale.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepare, coordinate, lead project execution at design and field implementation stages.
- Liaise with other engineering disciplines, vendors, and peers as necessary to develop and implement project scope.
- Develop and be responsible for a project schedule, budget, and field implementation, adhering to all applicable safety, engineering, and management of change standards.
- Specify plant instrumentation utilising smart plant instrumentation or equivalent systems for sizing different types of Control valves, transmitters, analysers, sampling systems, flow instrumentation, custody metering and pneumatic systems.
- Focus predominantly on instrument design, field installation and commissioning activities.
- Must understand the deliverable drawings needed to develop a design package.
- Must have proven experience to make design decisions and/or changes during the field construction phase.
- Have an appreciation of DCS architecture and plant control networks.
- Participate in P&ID, HAZOP reviews.
- Relevant ATEX / SIS experience
- Proven design experience of hardwired Shutdown systems and installation and commissioning of such systems.
- Assist in factory and site acceptance tests.
- Must have proven experience in the supervision of Instrument construction contractors.
Though the role will be primarily focused on execution of plant modifications, in the NC area, the Instrument Field Engineer will also at times be expected to:
- Work with the various operating teams and engineering disciplines to help lead troubleshoot and resolve critical plant instrumentation issues in the region.
- Change or organise the change out of defective plant instrumentation per standards or complying with current local standards.
- A high standard of engineering practice, technical governance and operational discipline must be upheld throughout all these activities.
Skills, Qulaifications and Experience:
- An Instrument Field Engineer with strong design skills and field experienced with:
- A proven track record in the specification, execution, and implementation of Instrumented systems.
- Proven Practical, onsite plant experience with a 'hands-on' approach, including experience in contractor supervision.
- Experience in the design, installation, and commissioning of instrumented and analytical systems.
- A high level of technical expertise ideally suited to someone with an Engineering Degree (Chemical, Mechanical or Control & Instrumentation Engineering) and/or with 15 years relevant experience.
- Discipline to work to a schedule and manage competing priorities.
- Self-motivation with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work productively, both unsupervised and as part of multi-discipline technical teams.
- Ability to manage and progress multiple projects at the same time.
- Flexibility to travel anywhere within the NC region to support projects for short durations (approx. 40%), and to occasionally respond to plant problems outside working hours, with a willingness to travel at short notice.
- Local language per the host country and English is required as a minimum but additional language relevant to the EMEA region are advantageous. You can expect to work at times as part of international teams as well as at local level.
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.