Engineering Manager - Business Improvements
We have a unique opportunity for an Engineering Manager to join our organisation in a newly created role driving business improvement through the engineering function of our Global Project Centre (GPC).
The Engineering Manager will have responsibility for the coordination and delivery of all engineering-linked QHSE activities through the GPC Engineering function and will have a passion and energy for change as well as proven capability to identify initiatives, implement ways of working and influence large teams.
Within the group the role will work with a diverse and multi-national team of engineers across GPC offices. The successful applicant can expect to be involved with multiple, diverse technical challenges, support our global projects and collaborate with all company offices. As such extensive experience of subsea oil & gas engineering and project delivery is essential.
The Engineering Manager will work closely with all disciplines within the Engineering function and the HSEQ function.
Coordinate GPC QHSE engineering related matters with particular focus on:-
- Cost of Loss
- Safety in Design
- Continuous Improvement
As well as;
- Lean Engineering
- Knowledge Management
- Develop best quality practices to ensure delivery of fit-for-purpose engineering and prioritise consistent ways-of-working across the function
- Embed Safety in Design throughout our way-of-working
- Manage compliance across the Engineering disciplines (e.g. auditing) in collaboration with HSEQ function to ensure company internal processes and procedures are being followed.
- Lead our Continuous Improvement process across the function focussing on Safety In Design & LEAN Engineering and provide direction to the CAE Programme Manager to prioritise digital improvements that have a material & positive impact on our way of working
- Educate our engineering teams to deliver the principles of the company vision.
- Support disciplines to develop sustainable solutions applied to design.
- Assess, identify and eliminate wasteful practices within our processes (LEAN)
- Coordinate Knowledge Management across the function, evaluate Lessons Learned from projects and disciplines and proactively improve our way of working from this
- Work with SIA to improve our compliance across company projects.
- Provide guidance on specific QHSE training needs for engineering personnel across the function
- Embrace, develop and implement digitalisation initiatives with support of CAE Discipline that enhance quality
- Assess best practices from sister companies, develop a strategic improvement plan from this and implement
- Understand internal and external clients' needs; independently evaluate, organise and prioritise work for self and others.
- Manage team members: participate to Compass process, training and development processes.
- Support Communities of Excellence meetings as required with appropriate resources and representation from disciplines.
- Sign and issue technical documentation as approver, accepting personal responsibility for its adequacy.
- Promote Health & Safety culture within the team.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interface with discipline leads and project leads to ensure compliance across all activities.
- Develop compliance auditing schedules for Engineering across disciplines and projects.
- Manage internal and external QHSE engineering interfaces.
- Ensure adequate QHSE engineering input to project activities.
- Assist projects with external verification activities from clients and 3rdparties (e.g. DNV)
- Review project's quality and HSE documentation for engineering activities
- Ensure that standards of QHSE engineering services provided comply with corporate standards and client specifications along with appropriate legislation.
- Assist Discipline Managers and PEM's in developing project engineering schedules to include all QHSE related project activities, including auditing
- Maintain Functional Managers awareness of all matters related to QHSE
- Organise/support PEC (Project Expertise Committee) assessments as required during the progress of the Projects' work.
- Maintain regular communication with other business units on QHSE related matters and resource planning.
- Proactively demonstrate safety leadership and ensure that all HSE concerns are addressed prior to work commencing.
- Ensure lessons learned from previous projects are captured and actioned/mitigated.
- Support project incidents technical investigation and promote corrective actions. Communicate lessons learned to other projects.
- Be familiar with FEEDs, Tenders and Project technical work scope and schedule.
- Monitor and manage progress of all QHSE activities.
- Provide support on all technical aspects of any subcontracting required.
- Monitor the performance standards required to achieve project success. Ensure team members are commercially / contractually aware, and understand their QHSE responsibilities.
Qualifications and Education
Specified Qualifications for position:
It is preferable for candidate to be degree qualified in Engineering, but demonstrable experience will also be considered.
Continuing Professional Development:
It is essential candidates show a commitment to their own Continuing Professional Development.
- Sound communication skills, oral, written and electronic.
- Extended capability in developing working relationships through effective communication.
- Extended capability and willingness to motivate, train and develop others.
- Establish and maintain a positive and proactive working environment that encourages team working, a spirit of openness, honesty and integrity.
Extended capability in managing self - time management, setting priorities, creative thinking etc.
- It is essential that candidates must have proven Subsea Engineering Experience working to a similar level.
- Demonstrable ability to work within time/budget constraints is essential.
- Ability to lead a team to support multiple projects is essential.
Specific JOB-RELATED Requirements
Candidates would be required to attend the GPC European offices on a regular basis, Kuala Lumpur and Perth on occasional basis. International travel beyond GPC offices will be also required when appropriate.
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.