Senior/Lead Riser Engineer
Within the Riser, Installation Analysis and Umbilical (RIAU) department, you will be responsible for supporting riser design activities including riser global analyses, installation analyses and packaging engineering (technical follow-up of the subcontracted components Strakes, Flexible joints, Buoyancy modules etc.). The qualified candidate will also contribute to the development of the discipline through various work on Technology Development and Continuous Improvements initiatives.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Support the riser design scope package, including but not limited to SCR, SLWR, SHR design package.
- Coordinate a team of engineers (typically from 2 to 10) to meet the required project constraints on required engineering works, optimisation, workload, schedule etc.
- Support various training and continuous improvements initiatives such as:
- Develop internal tools, guidelines, templates and training material
- Encourage knowledge sharing within the discipline.
- Support trainees and less experienced engineers
- Responsibility at the start of the Project / Tender / FEED:
- Identify the scope of work, specifications, schedule and inter-discipline requirements.
- Understand project/client expectations and gather applicable past lessons learnt.
- Identity the required project interfaces and agree on a schedule and resource plan with discipline managers and project engineering manager.
- Define the priorities for the team, set up the planning and convergence plan, set up the activity register, tracker for manhours budget, tracker for technical changes etc.
- Organise KOM with the riser team, discipline managers, and project engineering manager.
- Responsibility during the Project / Tender / FEED.
- Prepare discipline engineering design basis, philosophies, technical specifications, and design reports as required.
- Lead/Perform the in-place design analysis with OrcaFlex, as per design brief and basis. Produce and check the design documentation (either done internally by the company or externally) including feasibility reports, detailed in place design reports, specifications, material take-offs, etc. related to dynamic riser system / static jumper system.
- Ensure that QA/QC process is correctly followed in the team and the designs are in accordance with acknowledged industry Codes, Standards and Design Guides (e.g. API 17J, DNVGL-ST-F201, API RP 2STD/2RD); Client Specifications, Scopes of Work, Internal Standard.
- Ensure interface with Project team, other Engineering department (e.g. Welding and Materials), Quality, Pipeline Group, SCM etc. to ensure fabrication of the riser will be compliant with planned design.
- For Riser components (e.g. Flexible Joint, Stress Joint, Buoyancy Modules, VIV strakes etc.), develop Technical Specification for Suppliers, and support the selection of the Supplier through technical bid evaluation. Once the Purchase Order is placed, ensure the progress and compliance of the supplier in close interface with SCM and Quality function.
- Organise a regular meeting with the riser design team and maintain the action register. Issue regular reporting including document progress, resource mobilization planning, manhour tracking, and ensure technical changes with respect to the base scope are tracked properly.
- Attend project review meetings, vendor meetings, and engineering meetings organised by other disciplines
- Organise and chair the design review (internally and externally with Client)
- Provide engineering assistance during mobilisations and occasional periods of offshore or site working, including FATs, SITs, Pre-commissioning, etc.
- Bachelor's in mechanical / Structural / Civil / Hydrodynamic engineering or equivalent, a Master's degree or PhD preferred.
- A comprehensive knowledge of riser design
- Relevant work experience in the oil and gas industry or equivalent, with a preference in EPCI contractor or consultant predominantly performing in place / installation analyses of riser systems (rigid, flexible, or umbilical).
- Experience in developing small engineering teams
- Proficient in FEA modelling and you know well OrcaFlex software.
- Systems where a further knowledge is desirable:
- Installation analyses
- Offshore experience,
- Python knowledge,
- Welding and material,
- Flexible pipe and Umbilical design
- Home office site - Sutton
- Offshore / Off-site location during project Execution phase as required.
- Working hours according to local regulation and Company's policy
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.