Senior Energy Market Modeller
Remote- UK based
Petroplan is pleased to be working alongside a global group specialised in energy transition development, with 25 years' experience in five continents and operations in several countries, to recruit a home- based Senior Energy Market Modeller.
The ideal candidate will act as an expert on the UK energy market, keeping up to date on all aspects impacting pricing, financial forecasts and government, statutory and counterparty policy change.
They will develop the route to market for the client's assets, work for developing and integrating smart energy trading software.
The Senior Energy Market Modeller will also support the negotiation of PPAs with sophisticated characteristics. The role will be part of a very impressive senior team with some of the strongest track records in the sector, affording an excellent opportunity to learn and advance your career.
My client is headquartered in London but the role can be based anywhere in the UK, with the expectation that those who aren't based in London will be open to visiting the office and the team in London once a month.
Benefits include a base compensation depending on experience and cash bonus as defined by the group policies.
About the role:
- The Senior Energy Market Modeller will support the UK Development Director and team in managing the development of renewables projects across the UK (initial focus is on stand-alone utility scale battery storage and large scale co-located solar and battery with onshore wind projects within the next 24 months) and will be directly responsible for all the energy market analysis and support our internal Financial Modeller in modelling revenues of the projects, creating sophisticated models based on hard data about energy trading, modelling scenarios for changes to specific assumptions, deriving the financial viability of projects from initial project appraisal all the way through to operations.
- Apart providing top quality modelling insights to extract maximum value of the client's assets with energy trading experiences and background, the ideal candidate will be instrumental to the set-up of the internal energy trading platform.
- The goal of this role is to exploit the use of mathematical programming techniques and machine learning to optimise different aspects of the business.
- You will be exposed to the different parts of the business and contribute to the financial model of each project including updating the Board on changes in the UK energy market and advising on the likely energy market future outlook as a result of in depth market analysis, including identification of future market opportunities.
We expect the successful candidate to be:
- A commercially savvy and technically strong energy trader and analyst modeller with experience in energy trading in renewables projects, ideally in the UK, preferably with experience in energy trading desks of large traders, and from the energy trade SaaS providers.
- A team player with a hands-on approach to develop an energy trading modelling tool and platform.
- Able to develop new model for specific purpose by introducing new markets into the trading models by writing unit tests for the models and collaborating with DevOps and data engineering to deploy them.
- Able to transform scripts to coherent pieces of software including providing advices and making sure coding practices are up to highest standards.
- Understanding of the commercial implications of the various project elements and contribute to project investment decisions as well as being able to appraise project financial risk, would be a plus.
- Humble and with a good sense of humour is high up on our lists of character traits.
- Degree in relevant area such as electrical engineering, computer science, physics, or other quantitative and modelling focused degree
- Fluent in English (another European language a plus)
- Electricity Energy trading and renewable energy experience
- 3 years of experience with advanced Python abilities in analysis of large datasets (e.g. numpy, Panda). Good understanding of control flow, algorithmic thinking, functional and object-oriented programming and good software design principles and practices.
- Experience of designing models in Python to optimise commercial/operational performance of energy infrastructure e.g. electricity networks, generators, storage trading strategies
- Modelling experience with mathematical programming, machine learning and classical optimisation techniques base don operational research and machine learning (e.g. scikit-learn to build ML problems, using Pyomo to build LP/MILP problems
- Competent with DevOps tools like git, Python environment, docker and AWS
- Understanding of the UK renewables energy market
- Able to work collaboratively across a team
- Excellent report writing, communication and project management skills
- A flexible attitude to work
- Excellent DevOps competencies (docker, git, CI/CD, AWS)
- Experience with machine learning common libraries like PyTorch, scikit-learn
- Experience with mathematical programming like MILP , LP
- Good git practices i.e. gitflow, pull request
- Experience with visualisation tools such as Streamlit, Dash & Grafana
- UK experience in successful renewables project developments
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.