Provides effective process and utilities engineering services in order to achieve daily operational excellence and to drive down unit cost of production, improve production capability, and/or minimize overall risk of harm to people, risk of harm to the environment, or risk of lost production.
Supports the project team by taking a lead role in Engineering during the FEED study, detailed engineering phase and continuing on through plant commissioning and start-up.
- Supports the Lead Process Engineer and Production Engineer to ensure an effective Process Engineering service is consistently provided to the Operations Department in order to achieve daily excellence in the areas of plant operation, reliability, safety, productivity, and efficiency.
- Identifies, evaluates, and executes continuous improvement opportunities to drive down unit cost of production, improve production capability and/or minimize overall risk of harm to people and the environment.
- Participates in hazard/risk reviews required for all plant modifications. Able to act as a leader at review meetings for projects in line with experience.
- Provides process design for improvement projects at the Geismar site and supports process design needs for other sites as needed.
- Performs duties of the Lead Process engineer in his absence.
- Provides project support by taking a lead role in Engineering during the design, construction, and start-up phases of the project. Including reviewing data sheets, design details, PID's, PFD's, and providing recommendations on equipment and material selections. During the commissioning and start up phases provides detailed guidance to Operations staff, assists with the writing of Operating and Technical manuals and complex loop development.
- Develops and verifies QAQC documentation for the punch list and turnover packages.
- Acts as mentor to the less experienced engineers in the department.
- Ensures compliance with the requirements of PSM to minimize overall risk of harm to people, the environment, or loss prevention.
- Participates in the auditing process with Senior Engineers.
- Improves the safety in design performance of Methanex Geismar through application of learnings from incidents at other sites.
- Plays a key role in the Management of Change process, acting as PCR lead on plant changes being managed by the Department. Ensures that all requirements of the change management process are met.
- Supports the culture and initiatives of reliability within the Technical team and provide necessary support to Maintenance Reliability focus.
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism.
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the values.
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic.
- Networks with other Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required; Chemical Engineering preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Process / Utilities Engineering encompassing aspects such as trouble shooting, monitoring, conceptual design and equipment sizing and selection.
- Preferably 7 years' experience working with hydrocarbon or chemical processing.
- Well versed in working with process engineering software packages such as HYSYS.
- Competent user of standard computing packages (e.g. Microsoft Office).
- Familiarity with API, ASME and ANSI standards.