Project Engineering Manager
Reports to Director of Engineering, Middle East and nominated Project Manager
- The Manager will manage a multi-discipline engineering team of assigned permanent employees in Muscat, Oman. This team will be augmented by contract engineering and drafting resources and outside consultants. The organization is expected to grow as more projects are developed.
- The team includes the following Engineering disciplines, and the candidate must demonstrate a track record of successful project engineering management covering these areas, supported by an appropriate personal knowledge and expertise in these disciplines.
- Process Engineering
- Mechanical & Piping Engineering
- Civil & Structural Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Control and Automation Engineering
- The Manager will lead this team, and meet the following requirements.
- All work must be performed to appropriate recognized international standards and or client's Oil and Gas standards, while innovating to meet aggressive schedules and cost targets.
- Manage external contractors and consultants, to perform to required work standards, schedules and agreed manhour / cost budgets.
- Ensure that the customer scope of work requirements and performance are met, whilst supporting an environment that seeks to challenge requirements and optimize facilities, without sacrificing schedule considerations.
- Close interface with customer to ensure timely approval of deliverables. Able to justify and support the proposed design solutions to the customer and internally to the project team.
- Fosters a culture that is schedule aware, respects project deliverable schedule requirements and ensures that critical engineering milestones are adhered to.
- Supports the procurement process from material requisition through purchase order close-out, including timely and review and approval of vendor drawings that meet the specified design and performance requirements.
- Focussed on delivery of pragmatic design solutions, whilst ensuring that decision making is conducted efficiently, effectively, and without churn.
- Ensure that the project designs are constructible, operable and maintainable and can also be safely demolished
- Help to develop, maintain and improve business processes and quality systems.
- Ensure appropriate design methods are used, in addition to appropriate design and inter-discipline checks.
- Have a strong intellectual curiosity about technical matters in all disciplines and can quickly master new areas of technology.
- Uses knowledge and intuition to both review and challenge design solutions, and also offer suggestions and direction for improvements. Thereby creating a collaborative and innovative environment for optimization.
- Be capable of applying broad general knowledge of scientific principles to explain and understand phenomena outside their prior area of expertise.
- Ideally have relevant engineering project experience ranging from concept selection, FEED, and detailed design - particularly with regards to onshore greenfield construction projects.
- Be as energized by hands-on construction problem solving and troubleshooting as they are by challenging concepts and designs.
- Able to efficiently and effectively coordinate multi-discipline interfaces in order to support timely procurement activities, including timely resolution of vendor technical queries.
- Highly effective communication and people management skills (such as leadership, interpersonal, coaching, mentoring and supervisory skills etc) in order to build, motivate, develop and manage a cohesive and efficient team.
- Highly effective management skills including the ability to plan, set goals; and manage time, priorities, resources, accountabilities, schedules and cost.
- Able to make difficult decisions in order to lead and manage others to meet project demands in changing business conditions.
- Understands how the business delivers value to shareholders, and how engineering influences project outcomes and delivers value.
- Effectively manages and resolves conflict between individuals and/or groups.
- Negotiates successful outcomes that achieve the required objectives and have the support and acceptance of all parties.
Qualifications & Skills
- Have a Bachelor of Science degree in a relevant engineering discipline. Post Graduate qualifications in Project Management or Business Management are a plus.
- Have over 15 years engineering experience in a variety of industries and projects / technologies that include multi-discipline engineering. Experience will have been gained with either engineering consultants and or EPC contractors, at least 7 years of which, have been in the oil & gas sector.
- Demonstrates at least 10 years' experience in project engineering and coordination of multidisciplinary teams, demonstrating increasing responsibilities and commercial awareness. Preferably with at least 3-5 years in relevant leadership role.
- Relevant Oman / GCC project and design experience, that extends to projects with a different design codes and standards.
- High degree of business ethics in both contractual and personal dealings.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills.
Petroplan is a global organisation which specialises in connecting skilled professionals with exceptional contract and permanent career opportunities throughout the oil, gas and energy industry. This has been our focus since Petroplan was formed in 1976.
Our company aim isn't to be the largest industry recruitment specialist but rather the best. As such, our recruitment services, contractor management and specialised support is tailored to meet the individual needs of candidates, contractors and clients. Petroplan's local offices across Europe, the Middle East, North America, Asia-Pacific, Africa and Australasia support projects throughout forty countries. Our client portfolio includes multi-national companies, together with niche organisations focusing on a specialist discipline or location.
For more information please feel free to visit our website http://petroplan.com