Project Development Manager (Wind / Solar)
Petroplan are pleased to be recruiting a Project Development Manager to work for a global IPP who are looking to expand their Project Development Team based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
You will be responsible for taking projects on both a greenfield and competitive tender stage, as well as looking to acquire early-stage projects from local developers.
Purpose of Role
The successful applicant should have experience in a variety of technologies such as solar PV, wind, gas-fired power, and battery storage technology, ideally with a focus on renewable energy.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Assess feasibility of project opportunities.
* Lead preparation and submission of project tenders in compliance with the tender rules and internal approvals.
* Lead the negotiation of project and financing agreements - including power off-take agreements (PPA), construction contracts (EPC, TSA, BOP), O&M agreements, and financing documents as required.
* Support the structuring and negotiation of equity investment agreements such as Joint Development Agreements, shareholder agreements or share purchase agreements.
* Manage consultants' scopes of work, appointments and delivery.
* Conduct site visits with consultants, engage with relevant stakeholders and work to secure sites.
* Budgeting, expense tracking and reporting
* Assist in presenting the project for all internal approvals, including preparation of investment committee approval memorandums
* Design and delivery of key stats reports as well as support with both internal and external presentations and board papers
* Developing and refining market strategies and positions with key team members.
* Project scheduling, ensuring that key milestones are achieved on schedule and within budget
* Lead projects through all aspects of the development life cycle from inception to financial close
Skills / Competencies
* Detailed project development experience in renewable energy (wind and Solar PV)
* Knowledge of battery energy storage; practical experience in working with battery storage projects beneficial
* Required to have led detailed tender submissions
* Competent in reviewing financial models and critically analysing key inputs
* Experience in reviewing and critically analysing project documentation (PPAs, IAs, etc.)
* Competent in negotiating key land agreements, partnerships, and consultant agreements.
* Detailed budgeting, expense management and reporting experience
* Strong task and project management skills
* Strong analytical, strategic and critical thinking
* Problem solving and an individual who show initiative to take on challenges and find solutions.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills; in particular, presentation skills at all levels
* Strong MS Office skills, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and MS projects
Experience, Knowledge & Qualifications
* Experience and understanding of the Solar PV and Wind energy technology is critical with experience of the South African Renewable Energy Independent Power Producers Procurement Program or similar recent competitive tender required.
* Education in one or several of the following fields is required:
o A minimum undergraduate degree in either Engineering (Electrical, Civil, Mechanical), Economics, Finance, or Science;
o Specific course work in engineering, finance or policy based tertiary study in Energy or Power Plant Development;
* Preferred to have achieved:
o A Master's Degree in Energy or infrastructure development or similar engineering field; or
o An MBA covering non-recourse, project finance or similar.
* A minimum 5-years' work experience, with experience in or exposure to energy infrastructure (preferably renewable power) development, construction and funding activities.
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.