Senior Development Engineer - Battery / Energy Storage
Cape Town or Johannesburg
Petroplan are recruiting for a Senior Development Engineer with experience in Battery Energy Storage (BESS) to join a major IPP with a huge pipeline of projects across the African continent.
The role can be based out of Cape Town or Johannesburg.
About the role:
* Energy storage system sizing and system engineering design
* Working with the business development project teams to manage all technical project inputs
* Manage the optimisation of project sites and technology
* Assessment and mitigation of project risks
* Use of, or leading others in the use of modelling tools such as HOMER and or WAsP, WindPro, PVSyst, CAD and GIS
* Management, interpretation and analysis of data from operational BESS plants, identifying opportunities for optimisation
* Defining and managing modelling simulations related to energy storage projects to determine optimal solutions for both seller and offtaker
* Drafting of energy storage technical specifications and employer's requirements
* Undertake due diligence processes including site visits and assessments
* Selection and management of third-party technical advisors and experts
* Development of accurate cost and yield estimates for use in financial models
* Carry out LCOE type assessments
* Interpretation of project documents (grid codes, PPA, JDA, GSA, MOU, ESIA etc) and incorporation of requirements therein into contractors' documents (primarily Battery Supply Agreements, Balance of Plant contracts or Turnkey EPC, LTSA and O&M Contracts)
* Management of site technical investigations including, inter alia, ground investigations, transport studies, grid integration assessments and other key studies required for the implementation and feasibility of the projects,
* Manage contractor tendering and negotiation processes
* Manage Lender's and Owner's Engineers and the associated relationships, communication and information flow,
* Management of project development and construction schedules
* Participate in planning and selection of resourcing for construction management staff
* Monitoring of project construction, testing and commissioning activities
* Maintaining strong interfaces with all project disciplines including legal, E&S, finance and HR.
* Engineering degree or significant technical training or experience
* Significant experience in the energy industry with high exposure to developing and contracting battery energy storage technologies either as a technical advisor, development engineer, developer, EPC, or OEM
* Understanding of utility-scale battery chemistries and key performance indicators
* Understanding of utility-scale energy storage balance of plant technology
* Knowledge of safety relating to energy storage and technological best practices
* Understanding of utility-scale energy storage use cases
* Understanding of BESS prices, market pressures and optimisation considerations
* Experience in renewable project design and optimisation
* Experienced in developing and negotiating contracts including offtake agreements (e.g., Tolling or PPA), construction contracts, grid connection agreements
* Knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of Lender's, Owner's Engineers, Lender's Engineer and contractors
* Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.