Please read the below description before applying
The Instrument Engineer, under the direction of the Discipline Engineering Manager will work as part of the discipline engineering team within Project Neptune. The Instrument Engineer will define specifications and standards for the instruments that will be installed in the project. To ensure consistency the role will liaise with the electrical, mechanical, piping and civil/structural disciplines within the project team and with the relevant disciplines within the PMT and FEED/EPC contractors.
This position will require frequent international travel to facilitate in-person involvement throughout the lifecycle of the project.
B. Environment/Context: describe the most important internal and external factors influencing the job
- Safety Performance (SHE)
- Attention to instrument and reliability hazards inherent to the process
- Project cost, schedule, and construction plans
- Quality of engineering standards, designs, specifications, and other requirements
- Protection of IP and maintaining appropriate confidentiality
- Budget and schedule
- Business and Operational expectations
- Safety Performance (SHE)
- Market for contractors & availability of technical resources
- Purchasing environment for process equipment and bulks
- Local laws, environmental permitting and regulations
- Site partner interface and relationships
C. Accountabilities of the job: describe the main results expected from the job
- Ensure world class SHE performance is delivered by instrument / controls discipline at all stages during the project
- Carry out SHE audits of the PMT or EPC Contractor's activities.
- Ensure all instrument datasheets are reviewed by Process Group for integrity of design conditions, ranges and calibration.
- Work closely with EPC Contractor discipline engineers to ensure that all engineering issues are properly resolved in a timely manner and that designs are appropriate and comply with project specifications and standards.
- Create, review, and edit instrument design standards, maintenance procedures, engineering procedures, and other safety procedures.
- Support assurance of provision of fit-for-purpose solutions that meet project objectives by EPC Contractors
- Support EPC contractors and vendors in developing fit-for-purpose Inspection and Test Plans (ITP's) for equipment, packages, and bulk material supply, auditing vendor compliance as required.
- Support the EPC contractor in developing fit-for-purpose ITP and for fabrication and construction, auditing contractor compliance as required.
- Liaise closely with the EPC contractor personnel in field on all instrument engineering matters, ensuring field technical queries are resolved in a proper and timely manner,
- Ensure the facilities are designed, built and commissioned in compliance with all relevant statutory and project regulations.
- Work with the Process Engineering Team to ensure instrument design conditions, range and calibration are reviewed and approved in a timely manner.
- Support Contract and Procurement Function:
- Provide discipline specific input into the preparation, review, and approval of procurement procedures, supplier lists, contractor and vendor pre-qualification, etc.
- Provide discipline input into tender clarification/evaluation,
- Ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with project specifications and standards, applicable codes, QA/QC policies, and materials meet design standards and comply with the mechanical requirements of the Process Design Package,
- Evaluate EPC Contractors Bid Tabulation and supporting documentation and recommend the best value offers,
- Support pre-commissioning and commissioning activities including system completions, handover, and punch-lists as required:
- Assist the Commissioning Manager with relevant interfaces with stakeholders, ensuring the Operations function is well-prepared for eventual project ownership, including the timely handover of the agreed instrumentation engineering deliverables to support training, operations and maintenance procedure development, maintenance management systems population, ect.
- Define the required storage and installation conditions to ensure equipment integrity until start-up (in collaboration with Commissioning Manager)
- Define and optimize spare parts requirements
- Support management and control of associated technical documentation
- Support multi-disciplinary project reviews:
- Working with the Operations and Maintenance Representatives, ensure that detailed reviews of selected instruments and controls are performed with the operating LAO facilities,
- Translate existing LAO designs and lessons learnt into guidance for project technical specification,
- Act as custodian of instrument technical specifications and standards
- Assist with a detailed review of all FEED contractors, vendor systems, process, procedures, including PEPs, quality plans, etc for controls, instruments, and automation aspects.
Level of education & Experience in general
- Bachelor's degree in Instrumentation, Mechatronics/Controls, or Electrical engineering or equivalent experience, and
- At least 10 years of experience in oil and gas or chemical manufacturing environment
- Major capital project experience is strongly preferred
- Operation/maintenance of SIS
- Solid understanding of key discipline areas including: Pressure, temperature, level and flow measuring equipment
- Control and safety devices - pneumatic and hydraulic valves
- Strong written and oral communication skills at all organizational levels,
- Capable of building networks to enhance effectiveness and share knowledge,
- Self-motivated, self-starter; able to work with minimal supervision,
- Tenacity and patience,
- Able to connect with people from differing cultures and backgrounds, within and outside the organization
- Able to work in an intense, fast paced environment,
- Setting high standards of performance and ensuring that they are met or exceeded,
- Capable to manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously, with ability to prioritize and identify and focus on critical issues
G. Performance indicators: Describe the criteria allowing to measure to what extent the results are achieved - related to the accountabilities
- Complete documentation of LAO instrumentation specs and standards
- Integration of all design, operations and maintenance know how into specifications of instrumentation and control systems
- Accurate identification and procurement of necessary parts and equipment
- Successful collaboration with other discipline engineers to meet objectives
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.