Principal Piping Materials Engineer
Permanent Staff Position
Looking for Mechanical / Piping Materials Engineer to lead capital project execution for both the Air Separation and Process Gas Product Lines. You will provide technical expertise and specify piping, manual valves, inline items as well as complete painting and insulation specifications, and pressure test procedures.
- Piping Materials lead for major projects.
- Control of project budgets (manhours and materials), schedule, quality of deliverables and reporting out on project status.
- Proposal and project planning support. Preparing functional execution strategies and manhour estimates aligned to project scope, schedule and overall execution strategy.
- Develop Piping Line Class Specifications when required, to suit specific service and project requirements.
- Perform wall thickness calculations, when required, for pipe, fittings, flanges and other piping items in accordance with the applicable codes & standards.
- Specify appropriate Piping Line Class Specifications on the Process & Instrument Diagrams (P&ID).
- Check and approve project work.
- Specify and create requisition packages for manual valves, pipe, fittings, flanges, and other piping items such as steam traps, strainers, etc.
- Review vendor offerings for pipe, fittings, flanges, valves and other piping items to determine technical acceptance.
- Develop paint and insulation requirements/specifications for products and projects.
- Review oxygen piping systems and determine material capability.
- Develop pressure test guidelines and procedures for project construction.
- Perform interdisciplinary vendor squad checks for specific piping material aspects, for example inline instrumentation, mechanical equipment.
- Actively collaborate with internal teams and external third parties to meet project commitments, costs, and schedules.
- Create and maintain internal specifications, work instructions and job aids.
- Mechanical Engineering Degree or equivalent and a Chartered Engineer.
- 8 to 10 years' experience as in industrial piping materials engineering. Some experience of Pipelines would also be beneficial.
- Proven ability as lead specialist engineer on projects.
- Experience coordinating workload and resources including interfacing with other multi-centre design offices.
- Working knowledge of ASME B31.3 design code and supporting ASME component and ASTM material standards.
- Working Knowledge of the Pressure Equipment Directive/CE Marking for European projects and related experience in working with Notified Bodies.
- Working Knowledge of EN13480 and other design codes and Country specific requirements is a strong preference (for example ASME B31.1, B31.8, B31.12).
- Working experience with software to perform wall thickness calculations such as Red Bag PCC is a plus
- Knowledge of the Material Management process on projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Preferred - experience of Hexagon SmartPlant tools (P&ID, Materials, Reference Data/3D)
- Relevant design experience of ammonia, CO, CO2, hydrocarbons, hydrogen plant would be an advantage.
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.