Role Title: Risk Engineer
Type: PAYE Contract - Initially 12 months
Location: London / South East - up to 40% of time spent working remotely
Provide strategic business, commercial and safety and operational risk leadership and be the SME for project risk management across the portfolio of major capital expenditure projects (both operated and non-operated JV projects). Key member of the Projects Delivery Leadership Team, P&O projects and S&OR Risk Communities of Practice.
Lead the application of risk management in the operating base for P&O projects:
- Lead the development and implementation of Projects Risk Management Framework, Registers and Risk Management Implementation Plans in conformance with the P&O projects Risk Management Procedure, OMS, Group Risk Practice and related document requirements.
- Lead and develop risk management competency of risk focal points across the respective projects' portfolio.
- Lead risk identification, assessment, planning and performance management activities and internal and external reporting requirements for the operating base project portfolio (e.g. P&O projects, VP projects operating base, wells, operations, Partners, Orange Book, RMR).
- Key Leadership Team Member of the Projects Risk Management Network and Community of Practice, and key contributor of "lessons learned" to support P&O projects risk and project management continuous improvement (CI) initiatives.
- Represent the VP projects operating base for Central S&OR Risk Community of Practice.
- Provide risk management expertise to support other central delivery or operating bases for emerging project and P&O projects delivery functions.
- Org Chart: (To show the role, its peer roles and subordinate roles - titles)
What is the formal relationship to other jobs within the Project/BU?
The position sits on the VP projects operating base or central delivery team leadership teams to support the VP Projects. The position also:
- Reports to the Project Leader Common Process
- Direct support and portfolio management of the VP Projects Central Delivery / Operating Base
- Supports the HSE&C risk authority for projects, wells and subsurface
- Interfaces on a regular basis with multiple Unit Leaders (project leaders) and deployed risk focal points.
What decisions is the job holder allowed or expected to make? What is the impact of their decisions on end results?
- Interprets the risk management program activities to ensure portfolio alignment and consistent application of risk framework; actively seeks out and codifies learnings.
- Supports the update of the P&O projects Risk Management Procedure and special projects associated with continuous improvement.
- Supports the competency and development of risk management practitioners P&O projects.
- Leads the consistent use of risk action plan templates and standard barrier analyses (bowtie diagrams).
- Leads the P&O projects risk management self-verification process within the VP operating base projects portfolio
- Experience & Expertise (Typical educational qualification & experience)
What knowledge/skills does the role need to have and how have they been acquired? What is the level of expertise required?
Essential Experience and Job Requirements
- 7-10yr Experience in implementing qualitative risk management programs to support project management including:
o Understanding of risk identification and assessment methodology
o Developing and managing endorsement of risk responses
o Performing analysis of risk monitoring/control KPIs including barrier health
o Strong communication and influencing skills
- A thorough understanding of the basic principles of Project management, risk management and control
- Experience utilizing project risk systems and identifying root causes
- Experience in a risk management role or knowledge of formal operational risk methodologies
- The ability to take initiative and lead in solving problems without a high degree of supervision
- Knowledge of financial, business and control environments
- The courage to challenge existing processes and procedures for improvement
- Broad understanding across several technical disciplines
- Experience of working in a major project environment
Desirable Criteria and Qualifications
- University Degree in a business-related field or equivalent work experience
- Experience in implementing business change
- Experience in the oil and gas and/or energy industry
- Project management and risk management processes experience
- Experience in operating project Management of Change processes
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.