Petroplan is hiring for a Staff Accountant for a Major Oil and Gas Company in Houston, TX
The Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for performing a full spectrum of financial, regulatory, reporting and accounting assignments including preparation of complex financial reports and related financial analysis in the area of fixed assets and other assigned areas of accounting.
- Accountable for recording cost of newly acquired fixed assets, tracking existing fixed assets, recording depreciation and amortization, and accounting for disposition of fixed assets.
- Track all costs that are capitalized to determine when assets or projects are completed and when assets are ready to be placed into service.
- Prepares reports related to fixed assets and assets under construction both for external and internal reporting purposes, e.g. fixed asset roll-forward.
- Analyzes information and options by developing spreadsheet reports and verifying information.
- Prepares general ledger entries by maintaining records and files.
- Works with specified budget owners on actual costs vs budget and verifies accruals needed in the month.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts including the tying out of GL asset account balances to the fixed asset sub-ledger.
- Develops and implements accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures and recommending changes where needed.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Review of external financial statements for accuracy and tie out.
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by completing related tasks as needed.
- Contribute to technical accounting research in the area of fixed assets for both USGAAP and IFRS.
Performs other duties as needed.
- Requires a bachelor's degree preferably in accounting, finance, economics, or related business administration field.
- CPA, CMA, MBA and/or other professional certificates/advanced degrees are preferred but not required.
- A minimum of three years of related public or private accounting experience. Requires public and/or professional accounting experience preferably in the area of fixed assets. Both USGAAP and IFRS experience desired but not required. Experience with internal control documentation and control self-assessments preferred.
Skills/ Knowledge/ Abilities:
- Excellent accounting and financial skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization including Executives.
- Working knowledge of other Microsoft products such as Exchange, PowerPoint, etc. also a plus, (SAP and BPC experience preferred).
- Proficient in analyzing large amounts of data in a quick and efficient manner.
- Ability to estimate and form conclusions and depict future courses of action based on the available financial details.
- Excellent communication skills and can communicate well with all departments in order to ensure that the accounts are accurate.
- Able to work with high accuracy and has the ability to work with high precision.
- Able to meet deadlines and may have to put in extra hours and work under stress.
- Able to demonstrate ability to think outside of current processes and suggest improvement and change.
- Shows interest and ability to define ones own role and contribute to the overall group outside of assigned duties.
- Have a passion for the accounting profession with long term goals to succeed and progress up through management.
- SAP Experience (strongly preferred but not required)
- 3-5 years' experience (More than this may be of concern, depending on how much more)
- CPA or eligible to sit for CPA Exam
- Highly motivated and self-starter
- Fixed Asset Accounting experience required and Reporting experience strongly preferred
- General Accounting experience
- Good communication skills
Petroplan is a global organisation which specialises in connecting skilled professionals with exceptional contract and permanent career opportunities throughout the oil, gas and energy industry. This has been our focus since Petroplan was formed in 1976.
Our company aim isn't to be the largest industry recruitment specialist but rather the best. As such, our recruitment services, contractor management and specialised support is tailored to meet the individual needs of candidates, contractors and clients. Petroplan's local offices across Europe, the Middle East, North America, Asia-Pacific, Africa and Australasia support projects throughout forty countries. Our client portfolio includes multi-national companies, together with niche organisations focusing on a specialist discipline or location.
For more information please feel free to visit our website http://petroplan.com
Ref No: BBBH30815