The Senior Instrument Engineer is a member of the Capital Project Group (CPG) and reports directly to the CPG Engineering Manager. The Lead Instrument Engineer is primarily accountable for Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) of Engineering Deliverables by the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contractor beginning with Detailed Design through Commissioning and Startup.
This role is also accountable for ensuring the FLNG Capital Projects Instrumentation design meets or exceeds contractual and regulatory requirements and industry best practices. The complexity of the instrumented systems in both the Liquefaction (LQF) and Pretreatment (PTF) Facilities requires a high level of experience and technical expertise to provide assurance of design deliverables along with proper QA/QC of procurement, installation and construction of instrumented systems.
Candidates must have an understanding of the setup and operation of the Integrated Control and Safety System (ICSS), consisting of the Distributed Control System (DCS) sometimes referred to as the Basic Process Control System (BPCS), the Safety Instrumented System (SIS), and the Fire and Gas System (FGS). Candidate must understand the ICSS process control and safety functions required for the gas treatment and liquefaction process, and their role in safe, efficient, and reliable plant operations, with the objective of meeting business goals for production while minimizing unscheduled equipment down time. The role will be required to interface closely with the Operations teams during startup and assist with troubleshooting as well as providing technical support.
Essential Functions & Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and comment on Specifications and Data Sheets
- Review and comment on Detailed Design Deliverables
- Review and comment on Procurement Packages
- Review and comment on Supplier Document Deliverables
- Participate in Factory Acceptance Tests (FATs) of ICSS and other Instrumentation Systems (infrequent domestic and international travel should be expected)
- Participate in Site Acceptance Tests (SATs) of ICSS and packaged equipment
- Coordinate engineering and design interfaces between Instrumentation and other discipline teams in a strong matrix, multi-discipline project team environment.
- Review project deliverable documents for completeness and accuracy, and check and approve Instrument design drawings.
- Ensure EPC Contractor meets all regulatory requirements in a timely manner
- Review other disciplines and vendor print inter-squad drawings, and coordinate with other discipline leads to ensure effective quality product.
- Ensure Contractor compliance with project schedule for Engineering and Construction.
- Review as-built documentation process for all Instrumentation work.
- Ensure instrument design, construction, and testing is code compliant.
- Represent Owner in responses to EPC Contractor Change Orders
- Knowledgeable Subject Matter Expert on Process Control and Distributed Control Systems (DCS).
- Review Process Control narratives and the revision of these with any changes to control.
- Knowledgeable on Cause and Effect (SIS interlocks).
- Participation in Hazops and Hazids as required.
- Support Alarm Management. Interface with other Discipline Engineers and Operations to resolve issues.
- Support Process Trip Investigation during startup.
- Provide input to resolution of Process Control Design Issues found post-startup
- Ensure compliance with established site and corporate philosophies, standards, specifications and procedures related to the SIS, control and instrumentation.
- Provide guidance to Smartplant Instrument (SI) use on Train 4 and interface with existing Trains 1-3 database.
- Provide input to configuration of graphical displays
- Review all package unit inquiries and purchase order requisitions where instrumentation is to be furnished by a Vendor as part of the package unit.
- Review unpriced requisitions and purchase orders of equipment and address any Technical Deviations from Project requirements.
- Participate in any Contractor Engineering Audits for the Instrument Discipline
- Strong written and verbal technical communication skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and be able to evaluate and prioritize multiple tasks to ensure alignment with project goals.
- Ability to effectively collaborate and work with all levels of the organization including operations, technical, plant management, contractors, vendors.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolutions skills
- Ability to work safely, efficiently and effective with minimal guidance and direction.
- Knowledgeable and familiar with tuning of loops, process control, DCS systems and graphics.
- Excellent troubleshooting/analytical skills
- Familiarity with cyber security
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.