Senior Operations Geologist
- Lead well planning activities and construction of relevant NWD documents consistent with the New Wells Common Process
- Actively lead the construction of the WID, NDS meeting, select the well option, operational decision trees, and finalization of the data acquisition program
- Lead the creation of pre-drill risk registers and ensure mitigation and contingency plans are created for all geological risks
- Lead the construction of the SOR document ensuring the well objectives, data acquisition, and all relevant overburden characterization elements are contained
- Ensure appropriate resourcing of well-site geologists both onshore/offshore through active engagement with suppliers
- Ensure integration of well planning and operational activity through strong collaboration with key stakeholders, NWD and GWO leadership
- Lead the construction of the GOP ensuring all relevant information is contained in this document
- Own the contractor performance for key wellsite services to include but not limited to mudlogging, wireline/LWD, wellsite PPFG and geological services
- Lead daily NWD/subsurface operations meeting
- Represent NWD/subsurface at the morning GWO rig call
- Lead all subsurface hole section previews, hole section reviews for the well Lead all LWOP, CWOP exercises, ensure that the specialty vendors are engaged early in the process
- Provide support to the wellsite geologist: daily and as needed ops call, provide up to date information and offset date
- Responsible for quantifying formation tops, casing, and core points per SOR and appropriate decision trees.
- Ensure efficient delivery of the data acquisition program and data quality per agreed terms and the security of all sensitive subsurface data and well results
- Ensure all subsurface vendors are engaged and providing data and support as outlined in the GOP and Well Plan document
- Collaborate between NWD and Exploration/RD and GWO to ensure all well objectives are delivered safely and efficiently
- Ensure Co-owners are receiving all required data and updates. SPA for Co-Owner communication and information dissemination.
- Support the operations petrophysicist QC of data acquisition programs and procedures
- Accountable for successful EOW Report completion ensuring the report meets the expectations of the New Wells Common Process.
- Ensure all data is finalised and electronically captures in the corporate regional data store and hard data copy is distributed accordingly to stakeholders
- Lead after action review with service providers and liaise with geological contractors personnel to provide QA/QC of all subsurface data and reports with completion of scorecard
- Capture and document all post well key learnings in PWR and share in appropriate NWD venues.
- Lead root cause analysis for any NPT event related to subsurface operations (Orange category) and ensure these learnings are distributed through the appropriate venues and stakeholders
- Support the formal development of national staff through learning sessions/workshops for both well-site and operations geology staff
Essential experience and job requirements
- University Degree in Geology or related subject, with 15 years of relevant industry experience, most of which should have been gained in a geological operations environment.
- Essential industry experience in the areas of well planning and operations geology, well-site geology, petro-physical log interpretation, seismic and well data interpretation, workstation skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to work in a collaborative environment within subsurface and drilling.
- The individual needs to be self-motivated, with a strong ability to integrate across disciplines.
- Cross discipline experience highly desirable, with strong teaching and coaching skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.