Well Planning Geologist
- Support well planning activities and construction of relevant NWD documents consistent with Company's Wells Common Process and in compliance with standards for Safety and Operational Risks
- Liaise with Renewal/Depletion Geoscientists to ensure the well planning activities and documents continue to meet the target objectives and desired outcomes articulated for the well
- Support the construction of key documents, meeting participation and decisions (WCD (Well Concept Document), NDS (No Drilling Surprises) meeting, select the well option, and assist the Operations Geologist with the creation of operational decision trees, and finalization of the data acquisition program)
- Assist in the creation of pre-drill risk registers and ensure mitigation and contingency plans are created for all geological risks
- Support the construction of the SOR document ensuring the well objectives, data acquisition, and all relevant overburden characterization elements are contained
- Ensure appropriate resourcing of well-site geologists both onshore/offshore through active engagement with suppliers
- Ensure integration of well planning and operational activity through strong collaboration with key stakeholders, NWD and Wells leadership
- Assist in the construction of the GOP ensuring all relevant information is contained in this document
- Participate in daily NWD/subsurface operations meeting
- Participate as required and contribute relevant interpretations NWD/subsurface at the morning Wells rig call
- Participate in subsurface hole section previews hole section reviews for the well
- Participate in LWOP, CWOP exercises,
- Provide support to the Operations Geologist: daily and as needed ops call, provide up to date information and offset date
- Help interpret and select formation tops, casing, and core points per SOR and appropriate decision trees.
- Ensure efficient delivery of the data acquisition program and data quality per agreed terms and the security of all sensitive subsurface data and well results
- Support successful EOW Report completion ensuring the report meets the expectations of the New Wells Common Process
- Ensure all data is finalised and electronically captures in the corporate regional data store and hard data copy is distributed accordingly to stakeholders
- Capture and document all post well key learnings in PWR and share in appropriate NWD venues.
- Support root cause analysis for any NPT event related to subsurface operations (Orange category) and ensure these learnings are distributed through the appropriate venues and stakeholders
Experience and job requirements
- University Degree in Geology or related subject
- 5-10 years of relevant industry experience, most of which should have been gained in a geological well planning environment. General Knowledge of Operations Geology would be an asset but not required
- Essential industry experience in the areas of well planning, and geological interpretation
- Geological, seismic and petrophysical log interpretation and workstation skills are essential; Petrel and TechLog experience are highly desirable
- Experience with deep water Gulf of Mexico exploration and development wells is highly desirable
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- The individual needs to have a collaborative team-first mentality, be self-motivated, with a strong ability to integrate across disciplines
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.