Petroplan is actively recruiting for a Manager, Projects Contracts and Procurement on behalf of a Houston-based, global energy company.
The position involves overseeing and executing contracting strategies and plans for specific projects, specifically focusing on subsea and marine installation contracts, subsea equipment supply contracts, and floating storage and offloading unit bare boat charter and operations and maintenance contracts. The responsibilities encompass managing all aspects of contracts, including pre-award, post-award, and contract closure activities throughout the project's execution phase. The implementation of company standards, processes, systems, and plans is integral to ensuring the safe delivery and optimization of the Project's value. The role actively supports our clients commitment to inclusion and diversity, prioritizes effective health, safety, and environmental practices, and emphasizes the well-being of individuals. This position reports to the Sr. Contracts and Procurement Manager on the project.
Location: Houston, TX - in office Monday through Friday
- Ensures compliance with relevant charters, group-level documents, codes of conduct, and statutory obligations;
- Demonstrates a paramount commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility, and sustainable development, with a strong focus on minimizing risk exposure;
- Develops contracting plans and sourcing strategies to mitigate risks, maximize opportunities, and outline contracting engagements;
- Establishes and maintains a risk plan for effective management of scopes of work, formulates mitigation strategies;
- Leads stakeholder alignment and develops sourcing strategies for all contract packages;
- Manages end-to-end contracting, including negotiations, technical scopes of work coordination, formation, and post-award administration for high-risk marine installation contracts and floating storage and offloading contracts;
- Prepares and presents sourcing and contract approval documentation to joint venture partners and internal senior management;
- Ensures efficient post-award contract administration, including contractual correspondence, claims processing, amendments, change orders, invoice approval, internal approvals, coordination of final accounts, and contract closeouts, while maintaining and archiving contract files/documents;
- Conducts commercial bid evaluations, including scoring analysis, benchmarking, and negotiations with contractors;
- Prepares formal contractual and commercial correspondence under the contracts;
- Identifies and communicates unresolved commercial problems to senior management, project managers, and delivery leads;
- Provides advice on contractual and commercial matters to project managers and delivery leads, ensuring a proactive approach to claims management;
- Contributes to project budgets and cost forecasting as required;
- Establishes effective communication channels within project and functional teams to encourage collaboration;
- Interfaces with all levels within the project team and function, leading meetings with interfacing disciplines for scope or commercial terms development;
- Leads presentations, negotiations, and meetings with contractors, as well as within the project team and function;
- Stays informed of contractor and market conditions, evaluates key learnings, and identifies opportunities for continuous improvement;
- Collaborates with Project Services to ensure provision of data requirements for project reporting and control;
- Collaborates with Senior Procurement and Contracts Manager and Head of Function to ensure alignment of functional standards.
- Preferred qualifications in an Engineering discipline(s), Construction Management, Economics, Quantity Surveying, Supply Chain, Legal (Construction Law), or a related field;
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in Contract Management on Capital Projects, demonstrating a high degree of business acumen and a profound understanding of high-risk Project Contracts & Procurement Strategies.
- Proven expertise in tendering and negotiating substantial and intricate installation contracts, bare boat charter, and operations and maintenance contracts within the maritime sector;
- Familiarity with vendor qualification, RFI/RFP processes, EPCI-type contracts, and service agreement requirements.
- Execution of all project phases (identification - Studies, selection - Pre-FEED, definition - FEED, and execution in Contracting & Procurement;
- Extensive project experience and knowledge in contract formation and contract administration required;
- Intuitively discerning factors that contribute to value creation and understanding the levers that need to be engaged;
- Managing contracts from formation through post-award, both in the home office and in the field (at the jobsite), including claims assessment and management;
- Building positive relationships with people through an engaging style that fosters quick trust and strong connections with stakeholders;
- Ability to bring people together to achieve alignment;
- Effective interfacing in a global setting across the PC&P organization;
- Proficiency in managing direct reports;
- Experience in Open Book Conversion negotiations and implementation; and
- Thorough expertise in the application of Microsoft Office tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and 365).
- Extensive hands-on experience in overseeing marine installation scopes and negotiating lease agreements for bare boat charter and operations and maintenance scopes on large-scale capital projects across different project phases;
- Possesses a practical and commercially astute mindset, making judgments that balance business value against risk to achieve the best outcomes;
- Proven understanding and expertise in contract law, including comprehensive experience in contract management and administration from pre-award to post-award and close-out phases;
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing diverse reimbursement models, including fixed-price lump sum, cost reimbursable, schedule of rates (re-measurable), actual cost, provisional sums, and open book to lump sum conversion, among others;
- Ability to craft contracting strategies that align with project and business requirements, encompassing elements such as target cost pain/gain, incentive contract models, milestone delivery, and more.
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.