The Instrument and Control Engineer is a critical member of the Engineering Team based in Houston, Texas. This position is responsible for design of instrument and control systems solutions for the Hydrogen Liquefaction plants at all client locations. The Instrument and Control Engineer will play a crucial role in ensuring the successful transition from the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) phase to the operations phase of liquefactions plants throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. By partnering with the engineering, production, project management and field service teams, the Instrument and Control Engineer will develop thorough understanding of the performance requirements of the H2 Liquefaction Plant design and continually refine instrumentation and controls to enhance the reliability of the plants. This role is vital to support company's systems in the field while also furthering the company's reputation as the industry leader in Hydrogen Liquefaction and Hydrogen fuel cell applications. Experience in Oil and Gas, Hydrogen, LNG or related Hydrocarbon processes is required.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as a technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Instrument & Controls system engineering, providing guidance and advice on related issues.
- Participate in Control System Design reviews.
- Develop and approve specifications of process control equipment including valves, relief valves, process instrumentation, analytical systems, and DCS & PLC.
- Perform system tests to ensure that software and automation solutions are effective and reliable both pre and post deployment.
- Support the Maintenance & Operations teams with Instrument & Controls systems assistance to maintain the operability of liquefaction Units.
- Refine system automation and software solutions based upon field data and stakeholder input.
- Develop design documentation (installation details, instrument index, databases, I/O lists, panel drawings, wiring and loop diagrams, control narratives, cause & effect diagrams, junction boxes drawings and cable tray layouts, etc.).
- Participate in Factory Acceptance Testing of Process Automation equipment (DCS, Analyzers, plant equipment control systems)
- Develop, read, and interpret Process & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) and Electrical Schematics as needed.
- Relevant practical site commissioning experience, while not essential, would be of benefit.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Automation Engineering Manager.
Education and Experience
- BS degree in Electrical, Instrumentation and/or Chemical Engineering, or other relevant field of study
- Ten (10) or more years of relevant work history; experience developing automation solutions for field applications preferred. Candidates with strong equipment manufacturing experience utilizing PLC applications will be given due consideration.
- Experience in managing third party contractors.
- Working knowledge of Engineering Standards for Instrumentation; API, ISA, PIP & NEC.
- Prior Instrumentation and Control experience; BPCS, SIS with Oil & Gas, Chemical manufacturing systems.
- Experience with:
- PLC Programming - Ladder Logic, Functional Block Diagram, Sequential Flow Charts
- Rockwell Automation Products; Factory talk, RS Linx, PLCs, Plant PAx
- Cyber Security and Industrial Networking
- Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to travel as needed to carry out duties of the position - up to 30%
- Demonstrated analytical abilities with strong attention to detail.
- Superior communication skills and ability to manage complex projects and multi-task effectively.
- Must be driven and self-motivated with excellent follow-through.
- Must possess the highest ethical standards and a commitment to work quality.
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.