Control & Instrumentation Engineer
England (Home-based working with travel to sites around the UK - roughly 60% travel)
- Regional responsibility for managing and maintaining all aspects of Control & Instrumentation systems
- Complete C&I modifications, upgrade equipment, obsolescence management,
- C&I equipment specification, solution development and installation ensuring business continuity and that systems and processes operate effectively, efficiently and safely.
- Assisting in developing and ensuring that C&I design standards are adhered to
- Support the company project teams in delivering the C&I function discipline and ensuring risks to operation of plant and equipment are recognised, assessed and mitigated.
- Provide technical support to maintenance teams, operations and Asset Technical.
Operations, Maintenance and Project Support
- Understand process control issues and develop control solutions, working collaboratively with designers and operations
- Control system support, fault finding and repair
- Setup & configuring instrumentation and sub-systems, managing equipment vendors and contractors to troubleshoot and resolve issues
- Support of the maintenance team with routine equipment maintenance & support issues
- Provide emergency responses to downtime events
- Analysing data and presenting findings in written reports
- Liaising with internal customers, suppliers, contractors and relevant authorities
- Purchasing equipment
- Writing test specifications and procedures
- Developing and responding to new business proposals (EQ's)
- Developing and maintaining system and C&I data and information libraries
- Produce/review engineering deliverables including: Datasheets, Loop Drawings, Cable Schedules, Junction Box Schedules, etc.
- Review system hardware designs (PCS, DCS, SIS, PLC and SCADA)
- Preparation of handover work packs, commissioning procedures and on-site commissioning
- Participate in C&I documentation reviews, P&ID reviews, HAZOPs and LOPAs, FATs and SATs.
- Preparation of C&I Scope of Works, specifications and philosophies.
Adhere to procedures relating to the proper use and care of company assets, equipment and materials
None but the role does oversee the work of sub-contractors.
Work in accordance with accounting procedures. This includes the proper authorisation and timely submission of timesheets and expenses.
- Work to standards, procedures and work instructions for Safety Critical Tasks in order to meet COMAH requirements. Assessment of Competency will form an ongoing part of this role.
- Ensure all tasks carried out conform to company policies, procedures and systems.
- Comply with the Values and Fundamental Principles of the company.
- Be responsible, regardless of position, for the health, safety and security of yourself, colleagues and customers in accordance with business and HSEQ principles.
- Be individually responsible for bringing to the notice of Line Management any potential hazard to health, safety or the environment of which you know or learn, in order that the hazard can be eliminated or significantly reduced; and for reporting any incidents relating to work activities.
- Promote the significance and importance of process safety.
This is not intended to be a limiting or prescriptive job description and post holders may be tasked with other duties/ responsibilities from time to time in keeping with their skills, experience or to aid individual development.
Education, Training and Qualifications
- 5-10yrs working experience with relevant qualifications, degree BSc/BEng or equivalent and applicable industry-based experience
- Experience in hazardous area equipment selection
- Experience in design and modifications to control systems - DCS/ESD/SIS and PLC/SCADA
- Excellent personal computer skills
- Working knowledge of cyber security standards
- Significant experience of DCS/SCADA/PLC support, fault finding and setup & configuration of instrumentation and systems (Pakscan, condition monitoring, etc)
- Member of a professional body such as InstMC or IET
- CompEx training / qualification
- Schneider Serck/Clear SCADA experience
- Trained in ABB 800xA / Rockwell / Schneider PLC/SCADA platforms
- Experienced in supporting Windows OS' and PC hardware
- Experience with ABB Software, 800xA & AC800M Engineering as well as ABB hardware, cabinet build, loop design.
- Have industrial protocol experience e.g. Modbus RTU/TCP, Profibus etc;
- Experience in networking and OPC interfaces for SCADA & PLC
- Experience supporting incidents and being the point of contact with vendors.
- Experience supervising brown fields projects
- Have good cyber security awareness and experience in industrial Networking
- Have good previous experience of PLC, SCADA or DCS programming
- Experience of equipment specification including cabling, JBs and equipment for installation in hazardous areas
- Good experience of process measurement instrumentation
- Experience of Safety systems, Proof Testing and Functional Safety
- Experience of site commissioning and troubleshooting
- Experience in supervising site works, field equipment installations, control systems and industrial network installations and commissioning
- Experience in FAT/SAT, software and hardware design review of DCS and SIS systems or PLC and SCADA systems
- Experience in a COMAH regulated industry
- Experience in managing ageing assets
- Have experience of serial tele-communications networking
- Experience of electrically actuated valves
- Cyber Security qualifications/training
Skills and Knowledge
- Working knowledge of Regulations and Directives: DSEAR (ATEX), PER (PED), COMAH and CDM
- Working Knowledge of applicable standards such as: BS 7671, BS EN 60079, IEC 62443/OG86, BS EN 61508, BS EN 61511, BS EN 62061 & EEMUA 191
- Awareness of current and new emerging technologies
- A high level of self-motivation is required, with a curiosity and a desire to engage with, and learn about new technologies
- Be able to occasionally: work at heights, lift light loads, walk over uneven terrain, work in tight or confined spaces.
- Be willing to attend emergency callouts
- Has a can-do attitude
- Is able to demonstrate good management / people relationship skills
- Team player and effective communicator
- Works independently, be proactive and be willing to take on challenges
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with team and the key stakeholders internally and externally
Other Specific Requirements
- Full Driving Licence
- Good written specification, report writing skills
- The role requires "home site" based activity, remote site and London office travel with travel to different company assets and working away from home for short periods
- Travel to different company assets and working away from home for short periods
- Remote / home working
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.