Snr Project Manager Engineering (Contract) Description This contractor position is on a temporary basis and will work remotely, in a Vancouver, BC Engineering office, then to the jobsite in Arizona.
Responsible for day-to-day leadership, management and direction of both the detail engineering and the engineering execution phases of a major mining and metallurgical process facilities project, reporting to the Project Director, and functionally to the Director of Engineering.
The scope of this position includes all aspects of the project life cycle with a specified technology vendor, from early scoping and definition stages through detailed engineering and procurement phases and finally to field erection and commissioning support.
- Review the development of the engineering work packages (EWPs) for all deliverables and time-based functions with technology provider. Review and analyze project requirements to establish tasks and subtasks and project timelines.
- Responsible for the scope, cost, schedule, safety, and quality associated with the project as influenced by the technology package engineering.
- Monitor the technical work performance and verify controls for tracking and reporting the advancement of engineering deliverables.
- Interfaces closely with site-based leadership, health and safety personnel and other internal organizations to ensure that work is executed in a manner consistent with the expectations of the operating property and in a safe and environmentally responsible manner
- Participate in design reviews, and execution planning discussions to ensure well-conceived and logical schedule development
- Leads the evaluation, management and approval of changes to the work proposed by the technology provider and works to minimize impacts to cost and schedule
- Ensures that a comprehensive QA/QC is in place to monitor quality of all engineering tasks and deliverables.
- Monitors work in-progress and completed to ensure that the work is of a quality and character that meets the requirements of FMMC and the site operations team
- Participates in all project engineering meetings including progress review meetings (weekly, monthly), progress versus schedule (master, look-ahead, and specific) and works with project team, EP(CM) contractor, site operations team and others to resolve issues, and recover or compress schedule
- Manages the reforecast of contractor staffing needs using actual progress, work remaining to complete and estimates to complete
- Ensure the development of an achievable engineering schedule to meet project requirements using the EWPs.
- Provide input into the project monthly report with respect to design progress, cost and issues of concern and recommend changes if required to achieve overall objectives.
- Contribute to the development of the Project Execution Plan (PEP) together with the project leadership team (including procurement, project controls, construction, and commissioning), and allocate roles and responsibilities.
- Coordinate with Procurement, Construction and Commissioning personnel early in the design effort to obtain their input and conduct any necessary reviews.
- Regularly review and appraise the structure of the engineering project team in terms of its ability to meet short- and long-term objectives, and institute appropriate changes.
- Ensure that Engineering Company(s) Engineering Systems and 3D intelligent design environment is properly setup and being used.
- Involve specialist expertise from within FMMC or externally as necessary.
- Ensure engineering risk assessments and HAZOPs are carried out and all identified issues are addressed.
- Supervises project staff and contractors.
- Serves as expert on engineering management issues.
- Coordinate quality audit verifications to ensure compliance with all relevant engineering standards and procedures for all design activities. Instigate corrective actions as required.
- Proven experience in Project and Engineering Management on projects with a value exceeding $500 million.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field, and minimum 15 years' experience with the practice, systems, processes and terminology of project management.
- Master's degree in engineering or related field and minimum 12 years' experience with the practice, systems, processes and terminology of project management.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering, project controls, contract administration, procurement, expediting and materials management (logistics)
- Work involves frequent travel, international assignments, and relocation to the site of work
- Proficient in the use of computers and software in a business environment.
- An extensive technical knowledge of engineering systems, design, applications of engineering processes and materials, and engineering applications of current engineering technologies.
- General knowledge of industry, regulatory standards and design criteria in engineering disciplines.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and organize at an advanced level.
- Comprehensive knowledge of project planning, controls and understanding of multi-discipline interdependencies.
- Knowledge of drawing production and document control methodologies.
- Knowledge of progress assessment, measurement, and engineering control strategies.
- An extensive knowledge of administrative practices and strong communication skills across all levels including client representatives.
- Ability to manage relationships with key stakeholders involved in the project.
- A high degree of understanding of procurement and contracting, construction and commissioning methodologies. · Ability to lead, motivate and inspire others, transfer expertise and provide a coaching role to others in terms of best practice.
- Ability to handle complex problem-solving tasks, applying appropriate analysis and consideration of high-level technical detail.
- Prior EPCM experience preferred with design office management experience
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with a governing authority.
- Proven experience in Project or Engineering Management on large industrial projects with a value exceeding $1 billion is an advantage.
- Productivity and Performance improvement experience with a workforce of several thousand people
- Experience with scheduling programs.
- Understanding of engineering staffing requirements and forecasting
- Experience in setting KPI's and tracking on a day to day basis
- Working as a team member (Client, EP, EPCM & Contractors)
- Mining Projects construction experience
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.